The treatments began really great, with a surprisingly mild level of side effects from the chemotherapy (cancer fighting) medication, PEG Interferon. Since I was under a medical hold and in the middle of treatments, the Medical Director, Dr. Joseph Smith, called the Warden and the Agency Medical Director, Dr. Willard Elyea, to stop my transfer before the HCV treatments were completed. The minute my HCV medical treatments began to work, clearly shown by blood tests, these three IDOC officials began a series of events which resulted in my transfer to another prison facility on the other side of the State. Within thirty five days of my transfer to Menard C.C., Dr. Adrian Feinerman, the M.C.C. This was followed two days later with an interrogation by Deputy Director District 1, Lamark Carter and Stateville C.C. The IDOC and another prison HMO group, ADDUS Healthcare Inc., had by this time hired a new, more compliant and obedient Medical Director at the Stateville C.C.. It was my good fortune the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) had a Dr. Joseph Smith, employed as the Medical Director for the Stateville Correction Center, a very kind and compassionate physician. During this period I received as my cell mate, a man just newly released from the infamous Illinois Death Row.

  • 9 years ago from California
  • Negotiate Low-Interest Rates
  • Prevent alcoholic and non-alcoholic liver related problems and also reduce risk of cirrhosis
  • 3 years ago from Lincolnshire, U.K
  • Promote self repair ability of liver and this helps to overcome damage in the organ
  • 14 months ago
  • Destruction of cell debris and microbes

I was left to rot in my prison cell after this, in extreme physical pain, with no medical treatment for the later documented severe stomach/ intestinal infection with the H. Pylori bacteria. April 24, 2002. At this time he denied the pre treatment ultrasound, liver biopsy and CT Scan of my abdomen (because of the persistent stomach/intestinal infection I was suffering from, untreated to that point). Also a CT scan of my entire abdominal area, prior to beginning new treatments. Then a horrific series of events began to unfold in a malicious and deliberate manner, resulting in the obvious sabotage of the amazingly successful HCV treatments. This series of events began November 25, 2002, when I requested Nurse Susie Viscum, the RN overseeing my weekly injections of PEG Interferon, call the Medical Director, Dr. Smith. Dr. Smith hospitalized me on July 6, 2000. I began treatments on July 7, 2000. I was placed under a medical hold and my treatments were expensive.

HCV medical treatments with I:IEG Interferon/Rebetol started on November 4, 2002. At the start of the treatments, my HCV viral load levels were over 7,000,000 I U/ml, and Liver Function (AST/ALT) Levels were abnormal, indicating ongoing destruction of liver cells. Within eight weeks my liver function levels had stabilized back into normal. Bowing to the pressure from these people, the IDOC relented and transferred me back to the Stateville C.C. I was transferred to the Menard Correction Center on December 7, 2000, just five months into my HCV medical treatments. Nor were there any treatments to ease the documented side effects stemming from the Hepatitis infection itself. He had prescribed this for me in response to the severe itching I was experiencing as a side effect of the HCV medications. They did not have the medications until November. He said that I would be put on a waiting list to receive the medications when they could get them – that I did not deserve special treatment.

Dr. Feinerman canceled the prescribed medical diet and canceled the prescribed sleeping medications that counter the Interferon induced insomnia. She was horrified at what I had been put through by Dr. Feinerman and the prison HMO group “Health Professionals, Ltd.” (HPL). C.J.Codega from the group Reaching Beyond The Walls. Dr. Kevin Smith delayed seeing me in connection with the U.I.C. Dr. Kevin Smith only grudgingly agreed to arrange my outside medical evaluation, delaying three months until March 14, 2002. I was seen by Dr. Wiley, a liver disease specialist. These three IDOC officials approached Dr. Joseph Smith and Barbara Miller, the Health Care Unit (HCU) Administrator and tried to convince them to stop my medical treatments by showing them my file. I remained inside the HCU and my treatments continued. The HCV treatments were working perfectly, as documented in my blood tests. This required the early termination of the treatments before the virus was completely eliminated, allowing the HCV time to mutate and return in a more virulent, aggressive, destructive form.

I was close to possibly being cured from this terrible and insidious liver/blood disease, having this treacherous virus eliminated from my blood and internal organs. Dr. Smith made it clear he was personally offended by the outside pressure I had brought to bear, thanks to my outside help. This was done despite the clear medical warnings to never do so. She resolved to do something about it out of the deep kindness of her heart, even though she had no experience in fighting this type of state sanctioned medical mistreatment of a prisoner. 7,000,000 per year to provide medical care to the prisoners at the Menard C.C.. We are double celled with other prisoners here in Illinois. December 13, 2001, where I could be sent for an evaluation by a proper specialist at the University of Illinois – Chicago, Liver/ Hematology Clinic. In a stunning development, Dr. Smith was told to “shut up and sit down, it’s an administrative decision” and he had nothing to say in the matter. Dr. Smith and Ms. Miller refused this unethical request and refused to read the proffered file.